The Reconstruction: SIGH

Monday, April 03, 2006

SIGH

So...this is pretty depressing. Here it is, the beginning of April....springtime...the time of happiness and renewal and all things wonderful....except floor. Yep - still floor-less. Even worse, I'm on about the 7th time of being promised floor on Wednesday or Friday or Tuesday or whatever. The most recent incident - they bought the wrong thermostat for the under-floor heating system. And worse yet, they cannot do math! The way they were going to set it up, I was going to be blowing fuses left and right! Need to turn off the lights if you want to run the heat! Gotta use the toaster oven in the bedroom if the fridge is on, because it'll overload the circuits otherwise. Arg!

I'm just about at the end of my ability to absorb more mishaps like this. It's been over 10 months since I had a regular old functioning house. And all I want is to have floor and a place to sit and a countertop and not have to put my shoes on to go to walk down the hall! Is this too much to ask? it really shouldn't be. But first I have to do math for the contractors so they don't blow up my house. Remind me again why they're the ones getting paid.

Oh - and in a related story of contractor hell - the first people who were supposed to fix my house have finally gotten around to doing the paperwork to refund me the insurance money that they got....for the work they didn't end up doing. But - they want to keep the 15% profit and 10% overhead that they charged in their original estimate. So....they didn't do the work, but they want to keep the profit on it. They tell me that this is their 'company policy,' but when I asked if it was in writing, I was told it is "just the way we've always done it." Great - well, I don't think that's gonna work this time. So now, I get to delicately, yet forcefully, try to get the insurance money back....all of it....so I can pay contractor #2...or is it #3?....the guys who can't do math.

SIGH! It's a good thing I'm not a violent person or someone might be in trouble....or maybe multiple someones. Anyone have anything to cheer me up?

2 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger MikaJ said...

Margot wants you to come over and play! Or, really she just wants you to come over so she can wrestle your feet!I am putting my sweater together so Mel's mom can put the zipper in for me next weekend.
I see a photo op in the making...!!
Need anything from Burpee? FREE SHIPPING!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger bugheart said...

oh that's horrible.
contractors are
the filthy slime
that collects between
the toilet and floor
of public restrooms
in train stations.

check out
other people's
horrible secrets
here
maybe that will
cheer you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home