The Reconstruction: Cough cough

Monday, March 13, 2006

Cough cough

Umm.....still no floor. But - some stories to tell anyway. The flooring has been ordered...and I'm praying that it arrives soon and that J, the flooring man, can come put it in pronto. It will be fabulous...and it doesn't sound as neat now that it's getting warmer, but the floor will be heated from underneath. So - although I live in a hobbit hole, it will not be a hobbit hole where you have cold feet. Hooray! So, back to the new floor - it is one of the ones you see in the picture here. But I'm not telling you which one. You'll have to wait for the grand unveiling. And please - no voting. I couldn't take the rejection right now. :)

For starters, I've been sick...sicker than sick. Nothing like running a 101 degree fever and feeling nauseous to ruin a perfectly good (i.e. warm) weekend. That really bummed me out. The only time I left the house was to go to R's to get some food...in between the waves of nausea. Here's the array of drugs I was taking.
Now - normally, I try to get by on my colds with some OJ and a box of tissues. I don't really believe in gorging myself on pills and potions. But I couldn't move....eat...or talk without the assistance of all that stuff. Really, really sick.

I did manage one trip to a certain un-named big box home improvement retailer. I was there 'improving my home improvement.' See, the trouble is that I had to rip my old cabinets out from the wall a few months ago and now I'm wondering if they can manage another move to the bedrooms for the floor to be installed and then be put back together again. These cabinets weren't really made for this. So, off I went to investigate the cost of just starting over. Dan the old guy cabinet man was there and talked to me and Steve-o about cabinets. We must have looked like a sorry pair because he was telling us about how he bought his first house and just bought one or two cabinets at first and then bought a new one with every paycheck. He suggested we could do that too. He also spent a good deal of time trying to convince us that we could have a fancy looking kitchen by adding little do-dads here and there...but not spending much money. And pointing out that we could take brochures and samples...because they were free and would be very helpful in designing our new kitchen by ourselves. That way, we didn't need to pay the store the 70 bucks to do it for us. Very sweet guy. I just wish I didn't appear to be as frugal as I really am. Does the average person not ask how much stuff costs? Maybe in the DC suburbs, they don't. Anyway, Dan the old guy cabinet man was very nice. But I was feeling lightheaded again, so we had to go.


That was pretty much my weekend. I spent my awake time drugging myself up...and my asleep time having weird hazy dreams about flooring and cabinets and construction guys taking over my life. I was so out of it, I didn't even find time to worry about paint colors. :)

2 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger bugheart said...

i am so sorry you were sick.
:(
my friend (i think you met her at s-n-b)
put in cabinets herself...
they were inexpensive, easy to put in and very nice looking...
ask about it on her blog
(she would love comments)
or i can give you her email.
she got them mailed to alaska
so they can't be that expensive!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger MikaJ said...

fisherman's friend, hells yea!!
i hope you are feeling better!
i am feeling a little out of it...i think my body is fighting something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home