The Reconstruction: Sleazy contractors and puppy paws

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Sleazy contractors and puppy paws

I hate contractors. No, really...hate them! I figured the one that busted my sprinkler was just a bad one. But I think they're all bad. The woman in the cubicle next to me - she has a half-finished bathroom, because her contractor is in jail. And mine should be - if you could get jail time for failing to actually call people back in anything resembling a timely fashion. Ka-sleazio. That's their code name. Though, I don't know why I should bother to protect the guilty. :)

So, Ka-sleazio is unable to return phone calls, or to paint, put in carpet, or re-do drywall in a reasonable time frame. But you're at their mercy. Cause if you switch contractors, you need to take the time to find one, then get them on the same page as you. And then wait, wait, wait for them to schedule the work. I don't have time for waiting. 14 days and counting til we get booted out of our current place. Cross your fingers for flooring.

I recommend getting a few back issues of 'this old house' and doing stuff yourself. How bad can it be? A little electrocution never hurt anyone...well, maybe a little.

On another front, I'm trying (somewhat in vain) to pick paint colors. When I rented, I always complained about the beige walls, and the fact that I couldn't paint them. Right now, not having a choice looks kinda good. 'Honey maple" or "Mandarin" or maybe "Orange Ice." Then again - how about "cracker bitz" "lasso" or "pony tail" Keeping with the animal theme - maybe "puppy paws." Or, I could have a knit-centric house - with "llama brown" "alpaca" or "wool tweed." Don't even get me started on the blue-s!

Then, of course, there are those who say - 'just stick to white, it's easier to re-sell...people don't like color.' But I never painted over the last owners' colors (electric yellow), so I feel compelled to personalize it, re-sell value be damned!

Stay tuned - photos coming soon.

2 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger MikaJ said...

question..why do you and stevo have to leave...isnt his name on the lease?
are you coming over tomorrow so i can give you a key?

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger bugheart said...

you guys had to leave??? i am so out of it...
well, you know i don't believe in white walls...
i love paint names...
i usually pick by the name, i am ashamed to say.
go color go!
invite us over for a paint party.
i will be your painting ho.
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home