The Reconstruction: I see baseboard

Monday, April 09, 2007

I see baseboard

So, spring is normally a pretty short season in DC, but usually because it launches right into the heat of summer. But this year, it went in reverse, and we got winter back....complete with a bit of snow on Saturday. I was glad I hadn't done much planting so far.

The snow beat up my poor daffodils and put a kink in my plans for cutting baseboard on Saturday. In the end, that turned out fine, cause I spent some time on Saturday measuring walls, angles, etc. (Okay, okay, I had the engineer of the house do the angles). And then spent Saturday night having a fun time with Miss Rebecca, Mr Shawn, and some of Rebecca's pals from peace corps. Lots of eating tasty food and telling amusing stories. Grizzlies, lost skis, buff moms...the usual.


On Sunday, Steve-o and I spent the afternoon measuring, remeasuring (measure twice, cut once), sawing, double-checking, painting and re-coating about 100 linear feet of baseboard. Hey - that doesn't sound like much, except when I tell you that those 100 feet involved over 50 individual cuts....not to mention our mess-ups and re-cuts. We had quite the fiesta of high-fives. Now, we just have to borrow our friend R and his air nailer to install the baseboard, and then I have to crawl around on my hands and knees caulking all the tops and the seams. Wheeeee.

But seriously, it's all worth it (Remind me of this when my knees are numb). Even just leaning the baseboard against the wall in its proper place makes the room look so much neater and more finished.
Who-da thunk it? I guess that's why some guy invented baseboard. Plus, we gained back about 25 square feet of space where we had stacked baseboard on the floor in the living room. So, once the baseboard is up, we can push furniture back toward the wall and open up the space a bit. Hey - in my place, I can use all the spare 25 square feet I can find!

Unfortunately, on Sunday, just as we were packing up, three hooligans (I realize I sound like my grandfather) ran around the house next door. Then - the sound of broken glass. Then - the aforementioned three hooligans come running out, and one of them kicks over my planter of strawberry plants. Don't mess with a girl's strawberry plants!

They had busted the window of the neighbor's house. So, I call the cops and they show up eventually and tell us DC's laws suck for juveniles. Big surprise there! The kids came back later to check out their handiwork, but the police folk were nowhere to be found.

What did you do this weekend?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger MikaJ said...

ahhhh! so pretty! i cant wait to see it in person!

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did I do this weekend... I thought I sold a house and found out I didn't bummer. So now I am officially in limbo. Other than that a bowling party.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home