The Reconstruction: The kitchen lady came-th

Friday, February 23, 2007

The kitchen lady came-th

Right to my house. She even pet my cat. Turns out she has one too. She got points for being a cat-lover. She got even more points for doing an awesome job talking to me about possibilities in my kitchen. I learned all about cabinet types, cabinet makers, cabinet installers. Okay people - this is exciting stuff for me....and stuff that as a renter I never had to think about. Did the door open, and was there food inside? That was about the extent of it.

So, she and I drew up a plan, and talked about a few different possibilities. But I liked what she suggested. I have a complicated place - a crazy soffit, low ceiling, and a small kitchen. So, basically, if I walk into a cabinet store and they balk at that, or ignore those facts, I should run screaming the other way. I'm guessing the Home Despot and Low-Low home improvement will fall into that category. So much babysitting involved! And amazingly enough - not the cheapest option.

So...natural maple cabinets, a pantry, glass fronts, silestone countertops, undermount stainless steel sink...and a low bank account. Most of my cabinets should be easy to find in the style I want....but there will be one or two custom or semi-custom cabinets. Luckily I've been saving up. I'm thinking either a slab or a craftsman-type style. Something with nice lines. I'm not a big fan of the curvy country, or something with lots of bevels - it just means more grooves to clean.

Plus - even though she wasn't there for any other room, we talked about the living room and how we can better arrange it, which confirmed what I'd been thinking all along - built-in bookshelves! And...she's on my side in the Projector v. Couch face-off. Loved her!
She also convinced me that I can totally tile my shower....it will just take a while....and I only have one bathroom, so I may end up contracting that, but they're going to be watched like a hawk. You can bet on it. She was so positive, which was great, and got me all excited about my kitchen....which is a little weird.

I also ordered the pocket door kit for the bathroom, so more demolition coming your way!

I'm away some of this weekend, so I'll be setting up appts. with cabinet places when I get back. The good news - now I know what I want to do, at least theoretically. The bad news - I may not be living there long enough to enjoy it once it's done.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about resale value -- "Designed to Sell" here we come!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home