The Reconstruction: Excuses, excuses

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Excuses, excuses

Well, I gave myself a bye lately on doing house stuff since Steve-o was preparing for the most hellish test to date, and I didn't want to make the house any more of a disaster than it already was. Poor guy - the test took 10 hours instead of the anticipated 8, due to some inept exam proctors. But it's over. Hooray! Now - onto those applications for him....and back to house work for me. Boo!

Originally, I had envisioned this blog lasting only a month or two....just long enough to put the house back together and get on with my life. But, as it turns out, this home repair business is lasting for far longer than I'd thought, and progressing far slower. Partly - I had no idea what I was in for, or how quickly a seemingly simple task could get out of control. And partly, once I got a kitchen and a couch, it somehow became alright to live in a house without baseboard, without matching walls, and with plastic bags taped over the holes in the ceiling. Other stuff took priority - like trying to enjoy the summer. I just hated feeling like every spare moment was spent researching home repair, buying stuff for home repair, doing home repair, or thinking about home repair. Ever have that happen? - with a crappy job, or school applications, or what-not?


I've realized that living somewhere that is 1/2 done is sort-of bringing me down and making me a much grumpier person than I should be. I mean - it's the place you go home to - the place that is supposed to be your 'out' from the craziness of your life - not the craziness itself. And I want it all done! But I can't realistically think I'm going to tie up all the loose ends in the next two weeks, either. So, I have to find a way to strike a happy middle ground.

And as I've been reminded by many a home owner - it's never really done. There is always something you want to do, or think you should do, or something that breaks that you need to fix. But I like definite tasks and definite ends to those definite tasks So, here goes nothing - paint both bedrooms, install baseboard, put in shelving in kitchen, and get new kitchen cabinets and sink (yikes - this is a big one!).....and be done! Pocket door in the bathroom and bathroom storage - you're just gonna have to wait. One task at a time. To the bedrooms!

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must ask... how much caffeine have you been consuming???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home