The Reconstruction: Back from paradise

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Back from paradise

Ah, 8 days in the Yucatan. Divine. Extensive pictures and play by play will be composed and sent to interested folks, and some photos will end up here, but here's the short version.

Vacation is good. Okay, that was the really really short version. But seriously, I love the ocean. Very soothing. The hurricane damage was nearly non-existent. We couldn't get on the beach at the Tulum ruins because they had it blocked off due to shifting sands form the hurricane, but that was the only weather-related snafu. As one taxi driver commented - hurricanes could be bad, but that was the price you paid to live in paradise. He was actually form the pacific coast of Mexico, but moved to the eastern side 12 years ago and hasn't left. One night I got quite sick (which didn't happen at all on my last trip) because I ate spinach on my pizza...at least that's what I'm tracing it to. Luckily, it was short-lived and besides being short on sleep the next day, I was non the worse.

The people in Mexico were lovely as always. As shop owners are want to do, they often try to get you into their shops with clever witty little statements.
Examples include:
"Come on in, my stuff is practically free"
"At least give me the chance to rip you off," and
"Hey honeymooners!" If you reply that you aren't honeymooners, they respond with the ever-classic "Just practicing?"

On our last trip, we were offered "a blanket for your mother in law." When I responded that I did not yet have a mother-in-law, they must have heard something quite different, since they replied with "How about a machete, then." Oh dear! This time Steve-o was offered a whip by a man selling cowboy hats, with the comment - "Buddy, a whip?...for tonight maybe?" Hey, at least they keep you laughing!

The weather was a bit too hot, and next time we'd go later in the year, or even in their high season if we had the cash. But the water was warm, the margaritas were cheap, and the chance to take a siesta mid-day was a great change. They seem to frown upon me taking naps at my desk at work. Humph.

We drove a golf cart, went to a turtle farm, swam in a cenote, saw some ruins and a ton of iguanas, shopped for liquor and hung out by the ocean, of course. It was sad to have to leave it all, but I missed my own bed, and my own kitty. Though Mexico had plenty of strays that I kept in salmon treats. Now that I'm back, I'm ready for another vacation!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home